DMO: Eclipse
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Digimon Adventure

5 posters

Go down

Favorite arc

Digimon Adventure I_vote_lcap0%Digimon Adventure I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Digimon Adventure I_vote_lcap0%Digimon Adventure I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Digimon Adventure I_vote_lcap67%Digimon Adventure I_vote_rcap 67% 
[ 4 ]
Digimon Adventure I_vote_lcap33%Digimon Adventure I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 6

Digimon Adventure Empty Digimon Adventure

Post by YoKozo Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:57 pm

I just know I'm gonna end up filling this section with series threads, so might as well get the ball rolling with the first series.

And so it begins... with Adventure. I read it was originally just gonna be a 13-episode series to promote the new Digimon Pendulum virtual pets from Bandai, but it gained considerable popularity that it was able to continue after, which was probably a wise choice as the characters and Digimon lore were explored more. While I don't think it's perfect, I think it's all-around great, and it's not just the nostalgia goggles (hah, goggles) talking.

It's a pretty straightforward story. Seven kids minding their own business, get sucked into a sci-fantasy world full of digital creatures. While all the initial evolutions and character development take place, the plot slowly builds itself and it becomes a more interesting story to follow, especially right the Devimon arc at episode 13. Speaking of which, Adventure is pretty much the building block of Digimon clichés and storyboard patterns. Episode 13 or 14 is where the introductory episodes end and the plot thickens and you wonder what's gonna happen next. Episode 21 is usually the episode that hints of a new child to join the cast later on.

What's great about the Digimon series in general is that it has a lot of focus on characterization with the cool, fancy evolutions and fighting as a hook. We see how they operate together or in a small group or individually many times, though maybe it was a bit too frequent. Together, separated, together, separated... Well, you get the idea. Still, it's not like it wasn't interesting to see how they are when they're on their own. Being a princess, getting attacked by poop, working like a loser in a restaurant, abandoning your own little brother... All these shape who the characters are and what makes them unique, as well as their companions.

You've got the leader with the lizard and the second main character who is usually the lonewolf type (and if it's Matt, you just love to hate him). The girly girl and the tomboy. The little kid and the older kid. It's good how diverse these characters are because they bring a larger dynamic to the show. Imagine how the kids would've gotten through their Digital World days without Izzy. They'd be effed beyond belief. Without Patamon, Devimon would've won.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but discussion is a good thing as long as it's thorough and interesting. So how did you feel about this season? What made it good/bad to you?

P.S. If you haven't finished this series for whatever reason, you know who you are, and so you should be aware of talk of episodes you haven't seen.
YoKozo
YoKozo
Sub-Leader

Guild Reputation : 34

Back to top Go down

Digimon Adventure Empty Re: Digimon Adventure

Post by ritzbitz8 Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 am

For me this season is overall the best season. It may not be as structured as, say, Tamers... but nostalgia wins the war here. Lots of characters each with different Digimon and multiple forms made things interesting... and they all developed a lot especially when we got to see their families in the Vamdemon arc. Plus all those classic Digimon designs are the best. The overload of merchandise was fun to collect too... cards, toys, d-pet type things. It was marketed really well.

I remember the very first episode I saw was the Kabuterimon episode, and he was my favorite Digimon then from day one. I would rank this as number one out of my favorite Digimon series.
ritzbitz8
ritzbitz8
Guildmaster

Guild Reputation : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by YoKozo Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm

ritzbitz8 wrote:For me this season is overall the best season. It may not be as structured as, say, Tamers... but nostalgia wins the war here. Lots of characters each with different Digimon and multiple forms made things interesting... and they all developed a lot especially when we got to see their families in the Vamdemon arc. Plus all those classic Digimon designs are the best. The overload of merchandise was fun to collect too... cards, toys, d-pet type things. It was marketed really well.

I remember the very first episode I saw was the Kabuterimon episode, and he was my favorite Digimon then from day one. I would rank this as number one out of my favorite Digimon series.
So why is Tamers on your top favorites on MAL and not Adventure? Cookie monster

I can definitely agree that it's the best overall. From start to finish, it was all good, good stuff. Now I'm questioning why I favor Tamers more... though, I think I'll save that for another time. You make a good point on the marketing. There was just a sheer amount of toys, cards, and games that would peak the interest of many. It was definitely Bandai's answer to Pokémon. It may not have been as huge, but it did have a pretty big following. And let's face it, when it comes to stories, Toei Animation doesn't fail to entertain.
YoKozo
YoKozo
Sub-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by ritzbitz8 Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Well you know what, I was just thinking about it while I wrote this and wonder why I favor Tamers more as well...

I think one thing about Adventure is I'm not a big fan of any of the main Digimon save for the Tentomon line, Angewomon, and WarGreymon. I like them all as classics, but overall they aren't my favorites. In Tamers I loved pretty much every partner Digimon there was. :O
ritzbitz8
ritzbitz8
Guildmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Key720 Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 pm

YoKozo wrote:P.S. If you haven't finished this series for whatever reason, you know who you are, and so you should be aware of talk of episodes you haven't seen.
awesome troll

I've now finished. Man, that was an entertaining watch. The characters ... I think all of them I'd felt like punching them and hugging them. Not at the same time, of course.

The last arc was really exciting. Megas!! And Patamon reached his Ultimate form! Too bad the subs made me confused around the beginning...calling Champions Adults, Ultimates Perfects and Megas ... Ultimates.... But that didn't detract from my entertainment. It did amuse me. *_*

It's a great show to watch whilst grinding endlessly on DMO. Cookie monster
Key720
Key720
Sub-Leader

Guild Reputation : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gasian1214 Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Story and characters are what make Digimon win over Pokemon in my heart. (for the anime series). And there's that risking your neck factor. Dunno why but i can't enjoy some other seasons , and pokemon the anime coz it just lacks that factor.

I can't speak about best digi series ever stuff coz i've only watched complete episodes of adventure 2, frontier, and savers, but so far this is my most favorite season ever.

Since there are a lot of main characters, the (female) fandom is so hilarious to watch (like other shonen). (We used to watch the fandom fight among themselves to no end)

Gasian1214
Gasian1214

Guild Reputation : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Key720 Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:07 pm

Pairing wars. They either amuse or annoy. Cookie monster
Key720
Key720
Sub-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:26 am

Love myotismon arc because of angewomon, and that's basicly about it. Lots of feelings in that arc which made it nice.(love Gotsumon and Pumpkinmon ^.^)

Back to top Go down

Post by YoKozo Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:23 am

Gasian1214 wrote:Story and characters are what make Digimon win over Pokemon in my heart. (for the anime series). And there's that risking your neck factor. Dunno why but i can't enjoy some other seasons , and pokemon the anime coz it just lacks that factor.

I can't speak about best digi series ever stuff coz i've only watched complete episodes of adventure 2, frontier, and savers, but so far this is my most favorite season ever.

Since there are a lot of main characters, the (female) fandom is so hilarious to watch (like other shonen). (We used to watch the fandom fight among themselves to no end)
It's because Digimon has tension, build up, characterization, and most importantly, a plot. It starts a story and ends it.

And yes, shipping was quite common.

Key720 wrote:Pairing wars. They either amuse or annoy. Cookie monster
If you liked Taiora, you're gonna be Sora-ly disappointed in 02.

Tamama wrote:Love myotismon arc because of angewomon, and that's basicly about it. Lots of feelings in that arc which made it nice.(love Gotsumon and Pumpkinmon ^.^)
Those two just wanted to have fun! Arggh, and he just condemned them for no reason at all!
YoKozo
YoKozo
Sub-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Key720 Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:47 am

YoKozo wrote:
Key720 wrote:Pairing wars. They either amuse or annoy. Cookie monster
If you liked Taiora, you're gonna be Sora-ly disappointed in 02.
I've long been spoiled about that sunk ship. Cookie monster

Last edited by Key720 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Key720
Key720
Sub-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by YoKozo Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:49 am

I forgot to mention. Discussion on the first and second movie can go here as well since it pertains to Adventure.
YoKozo
YoKozo
Sub-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Key720 Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:21 am

It also sounds like a reminder to watch the second movie to me. Hehee
Key720
Key720
Sub-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by ritzbitz8 Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 pm

But you definitely should because its AWESOME.
ritzbitz8
ritzbitz8
Guildmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Cy Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:26 pm

Our War Game is awesome. It's by far the greatest digimon movie in my opinion (though Diablomon Strikes Back and the first movie were both also fairly entertaining). Also, watch Summer Wars. It was done by the same guy and has a similar plot, just without digimon. Such a good movie.

Tamers is my favourite series (and IIRC one of the people behind it was a Cthulhu Mythos writer, which probably accounts for the local Eldritch Horror), but Adventure is a close second. It had some great characters (Izzy!), some great digimon (Kabuterimon!), and a good story. Also, if it hadn't existed then I would have never met Ritz, Tomni, or RBA on the old Pojo board over 10 years ago, and if I had never met Ritz then I wouldn't have met Key or YoKoZo either, nor all you awesome guild-mates. If I ever had to say there was a TV show that had a massive and profound impact on my life, it would be this one, not so much for the show itself, but for the events that followed.
Cy
Cy
Sub-Leader

Guild Reputation : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by YoKozo Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:57 am

Well said, Cy. Also, I was on Pojo's boards before as well. lol My god, that was loooooong ago.
YoKozo
YoKozo
Sub-Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by ritzbitz8 Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 am

Yup the pojo boards were where I started writing with Digimon fanfics. I remember I used to type up whole chapters in the reply section of topics Lol.

Yeah digimon adventure changed my life as well cuz it inspired the fandom I stayed engrossed in for all of high school. The only other show that maybe came close was yugioh.
ritzbitz8
ritzbitz8
Guildmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down